In the state of Michigan, a dog owner is responsible for all injuries caused if their dog bites somebody. The only way that the dog owner is not responsible for such injuries is if that dog was provoked to anger and attack. If you are the victim of a dog bite, the first ten things you should do are:
1. Find out who owns the dog
2. Find out if the dog has had recent rabies shots – get a copy of the vaccination report
3. Find out who is the dog’s veterinarian
4. Make a complaint to police – animal control division
5. Get a copy of the complaint from animal control division
6. Get medical attention and give a clear history of how you were attacked!
7. Find out if the dog owner has home owner’s insurance and who that insurance company is
8. Don’t talk to anybody from the homeowner’s insurance company until you’ve spoken to a lawyer
9. Take pictures of your injuries and the dog if possible
10. Find out if there are any witnesses and get their names/ addresses
If you have any questions regarding a dog bite injury or attack in the State of Michigan call the Law Offices of Jeffrey W. Hartkop today for a free case evaluation at (586) 412-3400.
$350,000.00 for an automobile accident in Macomb County
$310,000.00 for a premises liability client
Overall rating Excellent ★★★★★
Jeff was referred to me by my business attorney for an auto accident. From day 1 he has gone out of his way to treat me with kindness, respect and honesty. His explanations of the processes...