Macomb County Michigan Wrongful Death Attorneys
Frequently asked questions on Michigan wrongful death law
A loved one's death can raise many legal questions, including those about wrongful death. Here are some frequently asked questions about wrongful death:
- What is a wrongful death claim and what type of compensation am I entitled to? A wrongful claim is a lawsuit that may be brought by family members of a decedent whose death was caused by a negligent person. By filing a wrongful death claim, you may receive compensation for funeral expenses, medical bills, and pain and suffering. Because personal injury law can be complex, you should consult a Macomb County attorney as soon as possible.
- Who can file a wrongful death claim? A wrongful death lawsuit may be filed by immediate family members of the deceased. First however, a probate estate must be opened. Second, a family member is usually appointed as a personal representative. Lastly, the appointed representative must hire a wrongful death lawyer in Macomb County to file the lawsuit.
- Do I have unlimited time to file a wrongful death lawsuit? No, you do not have unlimited time to file a claim. In fact, under the statute of limitations for the State of Michigan, you only have three years to file your lawsuit. If you fail to take legal action within three years from the time your relative passed away, you will be unable to receive compensation.
- What is a survival statute? A survival statute allows you to resume any previous legal action the deceased may have taken before his or her death if you are the estate representative. You should contact an experienced Macomb County injury law firm to gain a better understanding of wrongful death law.
- Will my case go to trial? Most personal injury and wrongful death cases are settled through negotiation outside of court. However, every case is different, and there is no guarantee that you will not have to go to court. If your case is highly disputed or you have insufficient evidence to prove that the defendant was negligent, you may have to go to trial. As an experienced wrongful death lawyer, Jeffrey W. Hartkop is prepared to take your case to trial if the need arises.
You need help from a Macomb Country wrongful death attorney
The pain of losing a loved one can be unbearable, especially if their death was the result of negligence. At the law firm of Jeffrey W. Hartkop, P.C., we take great pride in fighting for the rights of our clients. We can help when someone you love has passed on because of the wrongful action of another person.
Let us fight for you
To discuss your wrongful death case, contact us online or call us at (586) 412-3400.